U.S. Passport Services
*NOTICE: Fees and Processing times are subject to change without notice, please refer to the U.S. Department of State website www.travel.state.gov for the most up-to-date information.
The Municipal Courts Department on behalf of the U.S. Department of State accepts passport applications for U.S. citizens wanting to get a new passport. Citizens may submit an Application (DS-11) for U.S. Passport in person. We can ONLY accept the DS-11 passport application. We cannot accept the DS-82 renewal application. The DS-82 renewal application must be completed and mailed by the applicant to the address on the form. Instructions on completing and mailing a passport renewal application can be found on the U.S. Department of State website www.travel.state.gov.
You must apply in person using form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:
- You are applying for your first U.S. passport, or
- You are under the age of 16, or
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16, or
- Your previous U.S. Passport was lost, stolen, or damaged, or
- Your previous U.S. Passport was issued more than 15 years ago, or
- Your name changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change.
When applying in person you will need?
- Correctly completed typed or handwritten DS-11 Application for a US Passport (no mistakes or cross-outs). Link: Passport Applications & Forms
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship. Link: Eligible Citizenship Documents
- Proof of Identity. Link: Eligible Identity Documents
- Passport Photo (Photo services are not provided at this facility). Link: Photo Requirements
- 2 types of Payments
- Acceptance Fee: Payable to the City of Houston $35
- Application Fee: Payable to U.S. Department of State (Amount depends on services for which you are applying)
PASSPORT APPLICATION FEES AND PROCESSING TIMES
Where can you apply?
The Municipal Courts Passport Acceptance location is located in Central Houston at the Herbert W. Gee Municipal Courthouse. Appointments are available Monday through Friday, between the hours of 1:00 P.M. and 10:00 P.M. A separate appointment is needed for every applicant that will be applying for a U.S. passport. As a courtesy, please arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment. To schedule an appointment and get more in-depth information, click the Central Houston link below. You will receive an email confirmation and reminder. If a cellular phone number is provided a text reminder can be sent with-in 24 hours of your appointment time. Your carrier’s standard messaging rates apply.
Feel free to also download and review the MCD Passport Application Checklist
Check the status of your application
Check the status of your U.S. Passport application in 7-10 business days by going to https://passportstatus.state.gov, there you may register your email address to receive automatic email updates. You will need the applicant’s Last Name, Date of Birth, and Social Security Number (Last 4 digits).
You may also check the status of your application by calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778, 1-888-874-7793(TDD/TTY), or by email at NPIC@state.gov.
*NOTICE: Fees and Processing times are subject to change without notice, please refer to the U.S. Department of State website www.travel.state.gov for the most up-to-date application fees and processing times.