Major Thoroughfare & Freeway Plan (MTFP)
2023 MTFP Amendment Requests
The Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan is updated annually through a process that begins in January and ends in September with City Council approval of the updated plan. The new map is then posted to the Planning and Development Department webpage when the updates have been completed.
Timeline and Process
- Mandatory pre-submittal conference with staff - January 3, 2023 to February 24, 2023
- Application submittal period - January 9, 2023 to March 3, 2023
- Public comment period - May 15, 2023 to July 7, 2023
- 2023 MTFP Proposed Amendments Map (.pdf, updated 09.15.2023)
MTFP 2023 Schedule
- May 11 - MTFP Workshop - Planning Commission Meeting - In-Person and Virtual Meeting
- June 14 - MTFP Open House - Virtual Meeting Only
- July 27 - MTFP Public Hearing - Planning Commission Meeting - In-Person and Virtual Meeting
- September 7 - MTFP Application Update - Planning Commission Meeting - In-Person and Virtual Meeting
- September 21 - MTFP Recommendation Meeting - Planning Commission Meeting - In-Person and Virtual Meeting
MTFP Meeting Information
MTFP Recommendation/Action Meeting - The MTFP Recommendation/Action Meeting will be held virtually and in-person at 900 Bagby Street in the City Hall Annex Building, Council Chambers, Public Level.
- Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan (MTFP): Agenda (.pdf, published 09.15.2023)
- Meeting Date: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
- Online Meeting via app: Click here to join the meeting
- Downloadable Presentation: View the Presentation (.pdf, published 09.19.2023)
- Call-In Option: +1 936-755-1521 Conference ID: 899 495 007#
- Meeting ID: 211 986 969 656
- Passcode: LsYozq
- Online Meeting via Web Browser: https://bit.ly/2023MTFP_RecommendationMeeting
You can download the Microsoft TEAMs program application for free at https://products.office.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/download-app. Please note that your computer requires speakers and a microphone in order to use Microsoft Teams. A free smartphone version of this app is also available from the Apple Store or Google Play.
Basic Virtual Meeting Instructions
- Join the meeting via the link or by phone.
- After joining, stay muted to minimize background disruptions.
- If you are recognized by the Chair to speak, unmute yourself and consider turning on the app’s video during your speaking time.
- State your name, spell your last name, and make your comments in the specified time allowed. Say if you are in support, against, or undecided, and conclude when prompted.
- To mute or unmute yourself on the phone, press *6. On the computer, use the microphone icon.
- Please turn off your video after speaking. Remember, your image and background are made public.
The public may address the Planning Commission on MTFP agenda items. Please submit comments or sign up to speak at least 24 hours in advance of the meeting. All comments are made part of the public meeting record.
- Submit comments on an item via email to email@example.com.
- You may also call the Planning Department at 832-393-6660. A staff member will take your comments, which will be included in the public record.
- Speakers will be called on in the order of sign up and can speak for up to five minutes, as announced
If you have materials or graphic information for the Planning Commission to consider, submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org 24 hours in advance of the scheduled meeting for it to be included in the final agenda packet.
Concluding the Virtual Meeting
Please hang up or disconnect to leave the meeting.
2023 MTFP Proposed Amendments
- Public Comments
- Meeting video links below go to the City of Houston YouTube page
- 2023 MTFP Open House - Main Meeting Room (June 14)
- Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan
- Houston Map Viewer:
- Harris County Appraisal District:
- Texas Department of Transportation, Houston District:
- Houston-Galveston Area Council, Regional Growth Forecast:
- Houston-Galveston Area Council, Our Great Region:
- City of Houston, Rebuild Houston Program and Capital Improvements Program 2015-2020:
- Dallas-Houston High-Speed Rail
- COH – Bicycle Master Plan
- Complete Streets E.O.
- Vision Zero
City of Houston
City of Houston
Transportation Planning Division