Office of Business Opportunity
2021 Liftoff Houston Business Plan Competition
- Read the July 7, 2021 Liftoff Houston Press Release
- Read the November 9, 2020 Liftoff Houston Award Winners Press Release
- Read the November 5, 2020 Liftoff Houston Pitch Day Press Release
- Read the July 8, 2020 Liftoff Houston Press Release
Liftoff Houston is the City of Houston's annual business plan competition. It is an entrepreneurial initiative that aim to empower Houstonians with business literacy education and mentorship to start their own business while contributing to the local growth and sustainability of the Houston economy. It is sponsored by Capital One Bank, which provides cash prizes totaling $30,000. This year, there are two ways to participate in Liftoff Houston:
- Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be in the start-up phase of your business which means you either must have a business idea or have a business in operation for less than one year.
- Must have revenue of less than $10,000.
- Must live within the City of Houston limits. Also, if you have a business location, it must be located within the City of Houston limits.
- Win $10,000 for your idea/business.
- Gain skills that will help you take your idea or small business to the next level
- Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Gain skills that will help you take your idea or small business to the next level.
- Receive Certificate of Completion.
- Meet the prerequisite for the HCC Business Plan Competition upon attending all required workshops and submitting a written business plan in the same calendar year.
Both programs will include orientation, workshops and mentoring sessions. However, the competition will have an additional component of presenting and pitching the idea/business. Contestants and participants will participate in a myriad of workshops ranging from business plan basics to raising capital, as well as information sessions on essential City of Houston business resources available through the Houston Public Library (HPL) and the City's Office of Business Opportunity (OBO.) The goal is to enable individuals to successfully research and develop their business plans. They will also receive additional support from professional mentors from SCORE Houston and Capital One Bank to further refine the business plan for submission.
This year there will be three award categories: Product, Service, and Innovation.
$10,000 – Awarded for top “Product” Based Business Plan (Retail, resale, merchandise, etc.)
$10,000 – Awarded for top “Service” Based Business Plan (Food, labor, consulting, etc.)
$10,000 – Awarded for top “Innovation” Based Business Plan (Software, Hardware, inventions, new market businesses, etc.)
The 2021 Liftoff Houston Start-Up Business Plan Competition will launch in July, more details to come.
Application Open: July 7, 2021 at 1:00 PM
Application Close: August 2, 2021at 11:59 PM
Orientation is REQUIRED for everyone. Please visit www.Liftoffhouston.com for more information.
The competition will be mainly held online at www.liftoffhouston.com. Due to COVID-19, the workshops will continue to be held virtually this year. Contestants/participants only need to register for ONE session per topic. Each topic is offered multiple times to allow all contestants more than one opportunity to attend. Please do not sign up for more than one session.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
Click on the apply button and follow the instructions below once you arrive on the LiftOff Houston website.
Step 1: Click "Register" on the top right of this page to create an account. (Once you finish creating an account the website will send you a confirmation email to confirm that you have a working email.)
Step 2: Complete the "Eligibility Test" to the determine the program you are eligible for.
Step 3: Compete an application either for the Liftoff Houston Start-Up Business Plan Competition or the Liftoff Houston Educational Pathway.
Please note: Liftoff team members are available Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Calls or e-mails outside of regular business hours will not be returned until the following business day.
City of Houston-Office of Business Opportunity