Planning & Development
Houston BCycle Program Expansion
Houston BCycle is the city’s bike share program and currently consists of over 100 stations and 700 bikes available to riders across central Houston neighborhoods. The system is operated by Houston Bike Share, a local 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to provide equitable access to bike share that fosters recreation, mobility and personal wellness. With oversight from the Houston Planning & Development Department and funding support from a federal grant and local partners, Houston Bike Share is leading a $4.7 million project to expand the Houston BCycle network. In 2019, Houston BCycle ridership is the highest it’s ever been with a 50% increase in bike share trips compared to last year. This is the largest growth in ridership in the history of the bike share program, surpassing the 26% growth from 2017-2018.
Houston BCycle initially began as a pilot project in May 2012 with three bike stations and 18 bicycles at City Hall, Market Square Park, and George R. Brown Convention Center. The project was funded through an EPA grant the City of Houston received as a way to encourage biking in Houston. The City worked with a group of volunteers to establish Houston Bike Share to operate and maintain the bike share program. In 2013, the bike share system grew to 29 stations and 215 bicycles, and by the end of 2016, 33 stations and 225 bikes were in operation.
The Houston BCycle expansion project kicked off in January 2017 and the network has now expanded into more neighborhoods, including Montrose, Midtown, East End, Heights, Museum District, Near Northside, Washington Corridor, and Third Ward. New networks have also been created in the Texas Medical Center, Rice University, Texas Southern University, University of Houston - Main and University of Houston – Downtown campus areas. The program is successful with more people riding BCycle than ever before! Want to ride a Houston BCycle? Visit Houston BCycle for more information.
The Planning & Development Department sponsored an application in the 2015 Transportation Improvement Program Call for Projects to expand the Houston BCycle program and was awarded a grant from the Federal Highway Administration. The expansion project will almost quadruple the size of bike share in Houston over the next two years by adding 97 bike stations and 767 bicycles. Two transport vans will also be added to help distribute bikes across the Houston BCycle network. As new stations are added to the network, the bike share system becomes more useful by connecting more neighborhoods to job centers and recreational destinations. The grant will reimburse the City of Houston for 80% of the cost to expand the system, up to $3.7 million. Houston Bike Share, the City’s project partner and program operator, will provide the 20% local match requirement and oversee installation of the bike stations.
Installation of the bike stations began in January of 2017 and is expected to be completed in 2020. BCycle stations installed to date:
- Crawford Island (Downtown) – 925 Crawford St.
- Guadalupe Park Plaza (EaDo) - 238 Flynn St.
- Woodland Park (Heights) - 2760 Houston Ave.
- Lost Lake (Montrose) - 3450 D'Amico St.
- Main & Wichita St. (Museum District) - 4912 Main St.
- Jury Assembly (Downtown) – 1202 Franklin St.
- Emancipation Park (Third Ward) - 3100 Dowling St.
- Baldwin Park (Midtown) – 1701 Elgin St.
- Moody Park (Near Northside) - 3812 Baden St.
- Navigation Esplanade (Greater East End) – 2501 Navigation Blvd.
- Health Museum (Museum District) – 1515 Hermann Dr.
- TC Jester & Washington (Washington Corridor) – 5418 Washington Ave.
- Gateway on Cullen (EaDo) – 1815 Cullen St.
- HCC Central (Midtown) – 1300 Holman St.
- Centennial Gardens (Hermann Park) – 1500 Hermann Dr.
- Greenbriar Lot (Rice University) – 5650 Greenbriar Dr.
- West Lot (Rice University) – College Way
- Gibbs Rec Center (Rice University) – 20 Alumni Dr.
- *Jackson Hill & Memorial Dr. (Washington Corridor) – 300 Jackson Hill St.
- *Westheimer & Waugh (Montrose) – 1111 Westheimer Rd.
- *Jury Assembly (Downtown) – 1202 Franklin St.
- 24Eleven Washington (Washington Corridor) – 2411 Washington Ave.
- Montie Beach Park (Heights) – 915 Northwood St.
- Rice Village Apartments (Rice University) – 2410 Shakespeare St.
- South Servery (Rice University) – Alumni Dr.
- Cambridge Office Building (Rice University) – 6100 Main St.
- Duncan Hall (Rice University) – Laboratory Rd.
- 2222 Smith (Midtown) – 2222 Smith
- Ben Taub Hospital (TMC) – 1504 Ben Taub Loop
- Bobcat Teddy’s (Heights) – 2803 White Oak
- TMC Commons (TMC) – 6550 Bertner Avenue
- TMC Fannin & Ross Sterling (TMC) – 6403 Fannin
- TMC Garage 2 (TMC) – 1150 Bates Avenue
- TMC Transit Center (TMC) – 6910 Fannin
- BioScience Research Center (Rice University) - 6500 S. Main St.
- Cougar Village (UH - Main) – Cougar Village Dr.
- ERP (UH - Main) – 2190 Schlumberger St.
- Student Center North (UH - Main) – 4465 University Dr.
- TDECU Cullen & Cougar Village (UH - Main) – 3875 Holman St.
- Amherst & Kelvin (Rice Village) – 2503 Amherst St.
- Dunstan & Kelvin (Rice Village) – Kelvin St.
- UT Pressler & Bertner (TMC) - 1200 Pressler St.
- UT Research Park (TMC) – East Rd.
- UTMDA 1MC Bertner & Braeswood (TMC) – 7007 Bertner Ave.
- UTHSC Housing & Rec Center (TMC) – Bertner Ave. & West Rd.
- UTMDA Main Campus MDA Blvd. (TMC) – 6499 MD Anderson Blvd.
- Student Center East (TSU) - 3100 Cleburne St.
- University Towers (TSU) – 3531 Wheeler St.
- TSU Rec & Wellness Center (TSU) – 3100 Cleburne St.
- University Courtyard Apartments (TSU) – 3503 Blodgett St.
- The Southmore (Museum District) – 5280 Caroline St.
- TMC Garage 8 (TMC) – 2151 W. Holcombe
- UH Blaffer Art Museum/GDH School of Architecture (UH) – 4188 Elgin St.
- UH Student Garage/METRORail (UH) – 4501 Wheeler Avenue
- Memorial Park Picnic Loop (Memorial Park ) – S. Picnic Ln.
- Memorial Park Running Center (Memorial Park) – N. Picnic Ln.
- Saint Arnold’s Brewing Company (Inner Loop Northeast) – 2000 Lyons Ave.
- Midtown Park (Midtown) – 2811 Travis St.
- Heights Mercantile (Heights) - 703 Yale St.
- Heights Central Station (Heights) - 1051 Heights Blvd.
- Change Happens (Third Ward) – 3353 Elgin St.
- 8th Wonder (EaDo) – 2202 Dallas St.
- Burnett Transit Center (Near Northside) – 590 Burnett St.
- Jesse H. Jones Student Life Center (UHD) – 150 Girard St.
- Shea St. Building/Lot B (UHD) – 1115 Naylor St.
- Soccer Field/White Oak Bayou Trailhead (UHD) – Heights Hike and Bike Trail
- Daly Parking Lot (UHD) – 1599 Daly Pl.
- Heights M-K-T (Heights) – 700 N Shepherd Dr.
- Eastwood Park (Greater East End) – 5000 Harrisburg Blvd.
- MacGregor Park (Third Ward) – 5225 Calhoun Rd.
- TMC Innovation (TMC) - 2450 Holcombe Blvd
- TMC Dryden METROrail (TMC) - 6595 Fannin St
- Smith Lands METROrail Parking Lot (TMC) - 7800 Greenbriar Dr
- Eleanor Tinsley Park (Montrose) - 18-3600 Allen Pkwy
- Hermann Park Bill Coats Bridge @ Almeda (Hermann Park) - 6340 Almeda Road
- Hermann Park/Rice U METROrail (Hermann Park) - 6050 Fannin St
- Dunlavy & Westheimer (Montrose) - 1706 Westheimer Rd
- Austin & Gray (Midtown) - 2111 Austin St
- Quitman Near Northside METRORail (Near Northside) - 638 Quitman St.
- Mason Park (Greater East End) - 541 S. 75th St.
- Fifth Ward CRC Lyons & Waco (Inner loop- Northeast) - 4300 Lyons Ave.
- Levy Park (Inner Loop West) - 3801 Eastside St.
- S. Braeswood & Linkmeadow METRO Bus (Inner Loop Southwest) - 3627 S Braeswood Blvd.
- N. Braeswood & Kirby METRO Bus (Inner Loop Southwest) - 7550 Kirby Dr.
- Dallas & St. Emanuel (EaDo) - 2105 Dallas St.
- Telephone & Eddington (Greater East End) - 619 Telephone Rd.
- Heights HEB N. Shepherd & 23rd (Heights) – 2300 N. Shepherd Dr.
- Legacy Community Health Lyons Clinic (Inner Loop Northeast) – 3811 Lyons Ave.
- 19th & Rutland (Heights) – 249 W. 19th St.
- The Silos @ Sawyer Yards (Washington Corridor) – 1502 Sawyer St.
- Louisiana & Walker (Downtown) – 611 Walker St.
- EaDo Stadium METRORail (EaDo) – 2505 Texas Ave.
- The Exchange @ Hardy Yards (Near Northside) – 1550 Leona St.
- MLK & Griggs (Inner Loop Southeast) – 5107 Griggs
- Deluxe Theater (Inner Loop Northeast) – 3303 Lyons Ave.
- Sawyer South Yards Silver & Center (Washington Corridor) - coming soon!
- Palm Center Transit Center METRORail (Inner Loop Southeast) - coming soon!
*Replacement stations due to damage from Hurricane Harvey
For further information about this grant, please contact:
Anna Sedillo, Project Manager
12.05.2019 -- Houston to add nearly 200 B-Cycles, new kiosks
06.26.2019 -- Citywide bike-sharing initiative reaching new Heights
Helpful LinksPress Release:
- Mayor Turner Announces Major Expansion of Houston Bike Share Program (08.24.2016)
- Houston BCycle Program Expanding at Medical Center and Universities (08.15.2018)