Meetings Information, Etc.
(updated June 26, 2020) Consistent with Governor Greg Abbott’s suspension of various provisions of the Open Meetings Act, effective the May 19, 2020 meeting and until further notice, to reduce the chance of COVID-19 transmission, Houston City Council Meetings will be held virtually using Microsoft Teams. Public comment will be allowed via teleconference; no one will be allowed to appear in person in the Council Chamber. The meeting with also be broadcast on HTV, the City of Houston’s municipal channel, and streamed on the City’s website at https://www.houstontx.gov/htv/index.html and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pg/HoustonTelevision/videos/.
To speak remotely at Public Session on Tuesday June 30th, 2020:
- All speakers must register in advance (Monday, June 29th, 2020 by 5 p.m.).
- If you did not register in advance, you will not be recognized to speak.
- All public comment will occur starting at 2 p.m.
- To sign up to speak, please call the City Secretary’s Office at 832-393-1100.
- If you need translation services, please notify staff when registering.
- You will need to call in prior to the start of the meeting. The number to call is: (936) 755-1521; Conference ID# 715 865 936#.
- Please note that phone numbers of public speakers may appear on-screen during the broadcast and recording of the Council Meeting. The recording of a public meeting is subject to the Open Meetings Act and is public information under the Texas Public Information Act.
- You must remain on mute until the Mayor recognizes you to speak. When your name is called, press *6 (star six) to unmute yourself, and press *6 (star six) again, to mute yourself after your timed comments are heard. You will then have 1, 2, or 3, minutes to speak and then the bell will ring.
- If you speak out of turn, the meeting administrator may mute you.
- If you speak out of turn again, you may be removed from the meeting.
- Speakers who are late or do not speak up when their name is called will not be able to speak.
- Please hang up or disconnect to leave the meeting.
To monitor the Council Meeting on Wednesday June 24th, 2020:
- If you wish to monitor the meeting by phone on Wednesday, you may do so by calling (936) 755-1521; Conference ID# 156 195 805#.
- No public speaking will be allowed on Wednesday.
- If you speak during the meeting, the meeting administrator may mute you.
- If you speak during the meeting again, you may be removed from the meeting.
Options for watching the meeting:
- HTV: https://www.houstontx.gov/htv/index.html
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/HoustonTelevision/videos/
---------- ------------ --------------
City Council meetings are conducted each week on Tuesdays at 1:30 p.m. and Wednesdays beginning at 9:00 a.m. Any citizen may speak before Council on a Tuesday beginning at 2:00 p.m. To reserve time to address City Council (up to three minutes), contact the City Secretary's Office (832.393.1100) prior to the commencement of the meeting. All Council meetings are open to the public.
In accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act, the agenda is posted for public information, at all times, for at least 72 hours preceding the scheduled time of the meeting on the bulletin board located at the rear entrance of the City Hall Annex, 900 Bagby. Copies of the agenda are available at no charge in the Office of the City Secretary in the City Hall Annex, Public Level. To receive the agenda by mail, send check or money order for $52 for a one year subscription, made payable to the City of Houston to the attention of the City Secretary, PO Box 1562, Houston, Texas 77251. To reserve time to appear before Council, call 713.247.1840 or come to the Office of the City Secretary, City Hall Annex, Public Level at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled public session shown on the agenda.
- View the City Council Agenda online
Typical Agenda Format
1:30 PM -- Roll Call , Adopt Minutes of Previous Meeting; 2:00 PM -- Public Comments (each speaker may reserve up to three minutes). 5:00 PM -- Recess
8:00 AM -- Reading of captions by the City Secretary. 9:00 AM -- Hearings, Mayor's Report, Consent Agenda, Matters Removed from Consent Agenda, Non-Consent Agenda, Matters Held, Matters to be Presented by Council Members (Pop-Off)