Houston Police Department
Help Us, Help You: What to Do in a Minor Traffic Accident

November 10, 2014 - Dozens of minor traffic accidents and/or fender benders happen on city of Houston roadways everyday. 

The Houston Police Department wants to remind drivers they don’t have to call a police officer to an accident scene if all of the following circumstances exist:

  • No one is injured
  • All vehicles involved are driveable with minor damage
  • All drivers have driver's licenses and proof of insurance
  • Drivers are cordial and there is no disturbance
  • Drivers are not intoxicated (drugs or alcohol)
  • No government people or property is involved

If all of the above exist, simply exchange driver’s license and insurance information with the other driver(s). The next step is to complete a Driver’s Crash Report, known as a blue form (does not have to be on blue paper) available at http://www.txdot.gov/txdoteforms/GetForm?formName=/CR-2.xdp&appID=/TRF&status=/reportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml This form must be completed within 10 days.   

If you are involved in a car accident not investigated by a police officer that results in an injury or at least $1,000 in property damages, you (driver) must file the Blue Form. 

When you should contact 9-1-1 for a police officer to come to your accident scene:

  • If the other driver leaves the scene prior to exchanging of information
  • Major accidents with heavy damage to a vehicle(s) and/or injuries
  • If a vehicle cannot be safely driven, call for an officer to sign a Police Officer's Tow Slip

It is important to remember to “Steer It, Clear It.”  If possible, move your vehicles from the roadway to a safe location to exchange information or to call a police officer. 

“Help Us, Help You” is a campaign aimed at sharing information and educating citizens on crime prevention and everyday tips related to public safety in our city.

JFC/VHS  11-10-14 

For additional information, please contact the HPD Public Affairs Division at 713-308-3200.