The Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) hosted a new online training for landlords and property managers to address questions and concerns around fair housing, evictions during the COVID-19 era, and other tenant/landlord matters.
This free 90-minute virtual workshop covered best practices for
- Screening Tenants
- Property Rules and Policies
- Tips to avoid discriminatory behavior and fair housing complaints
- Landlord rights and responsibilities
- Explanation of assistance animals and reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities
- Updates on the current eviction moratorium and more
The workshops were held live, giving participants the opportunity to ask specific questions to industry experts. Attendees received a certificate of attendance upon request following the conclusion of each session.
Attorney Howard Bookstaff
Hoover Slovacek LLP
General Counsel Houston Apartment Association
Attorney Leesa Everitt
Houston Volunteer Lawyers
The Fair Housing Act protects individuals and families from discrimination in the sale, rental, financing or advertising of housing based on their race, color, religion, family status, national origin, sex, or disability. To learn more, please visit our Fair Housing page. For specific questions or concerns about fair housing or landlord/tenant relations, please contact Yolanda Guess-Jeffries at (832) 394-6308.