The Housing and Community Development Department (HCD) will host an online training for landlords and property managers to address questions and concerns around housing providers' responsibilities under local and federal fair housing laws.
This free virtual workshop will cover:
- Best practices for advertising, screening tenants, and property rules and policies
- Tips to avoid discriminatory behavior and fair housing complaints
- Landlord rights and responsibilities
- Explanation of assistance animals and reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities
- Overview of familial status and sex discrimination
- Fair housing rights for survivors of domestic violence and more!
There will be two opportunities to attend the workshop: September 27, 2022 and October 5, 2022. Upon request, attendees will receive a certificate of attendance following the conclusion of each session.
September 27, 2022
10:00 AM to 12:30 PM
October 5, 2022
1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
Participants are encouraged to submit any questions to FairHousing@houstontx.gov prior to the workshop. There will be another opportunity to ask questions during the Q&A portion of the workshop. Should you have additional needs to access the workshop, please email Ashley Lawson at Ashley.Lawson@houstontx.gov and provide your name, email address, and a phone number.
Hoover Slovacek LLP
and General Counsel
Houston Apartment Association
Eviction Right to Counsel Unit
Lone Star Legal Aid
The Fair Housing Act protects individuals and families from discrimination in the sale, rental, financing or advertising of housing based on their race, color, religion, family status, national origin, sex, or disability.
HCD is committed to promoting fair housing and providing quality affordable homes in all neighborhoods. To learn more, please visit our Fair Housing page. For specific questions or concerns about fair housing or landlord/tenant relations, please contact Yolanda Guess-Jeffries at (832) 394-6200 (option 5).