Pay or Play Program
The Pay or Play Program policy applies to all contracts that exceed $100,000 and/or all subcontracts that exceed $200,000 throughout the life of the contract.
The POP Program does not apply to:
- Any contract in which the primary purpose (51% or more) is the procurement or purchase of property, leases, goods, supplies, and/or equipment;
- 4.2.2. An intergovernmental contract, interlocal agreement, bulk purchasing or purchasing cooperative.
- 4.2.3. Any contract for which the City of Houston has not expended funds, regardless of funding source
All employees over the age of 18 who work at least 30 hours per week on the contract are covered.
Each covered employee must be given health insurance coverage that meets the following standards:
- The employer contributes no less than 75% of the total premium costs per covered employee per month toward the total premium cost; and
- The covered employee contributes, if any amount, no greater than 25% of the total monthly premium costs.
- The contractor will have to submit workforce audits in B2GNow (https://houston.mwdbe.com/ ) that list all PAY employee total work hours for the firm, and the total hours on the City of Houston contract for each week they work on the contract.
- A fee of $1 will be assessed to the employer for each hour of work on the covered contract that each covered employee working a total 30 hours or more for the contractor completes. A POP invoice will be generated via the B2GNow webite and will be sent to the contractor’s email as listed in their vendor profile. Invoices must be paid within 30 days of receipt via the Chase Payment Portal in B2GNow. Checks or ACH Deposit payment are no longer accepted. For payment instructions or clarity, please contact the HCDD Pay or Play Coordinator, Jesse Ortiz, at 832-393-9110 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are several means for an employee to be considered exempt from the POP program, including:
- Under the age of 18
- Has insurance through their spouse.
- Has Medicaid/Medicare
- Refuses Health Insurance from their employer that meets City of Houston Requirements.
- For each exempt employee, a POP-8 form must be filled out and supporting documentation/ acceptable proof of insurance are required. These POP-8 forms should be signed, notarized, and completed by the employee.
A full list of needed documents for the Pay or Play program are available on the Office of Business Opportunity’s website .
For more information, please contact the department’s Pay or Play Coordinator, Jesse Ortiz, at 832-393-9110 or email@example.com.