City Council COMMITTEES AND AGENDAS
Childhood and Youth
Agendas, presentations, etc. listed below are in .pdf, unless otherwise indicated.
2021 meeting dates: January 13, February 10, March 10, April 14, May 12, June (none), July 14, August 11, September (none), October 13, November (none), December 8.
- 2021 Committee Schedule (.pdf)
- Childhood & Youth Committee 2020 Recap Letter
- 40 Developmental Assets for Early Childhood (ages 3-5) (.pdf)
- 40 Developmental Assets for Adolescents (ages 12-18) (.pdf)
- Committee Charge (.pdf)
Let the City of Houston know that funding early childhood initiatives is a priority for you! Your input will help prioritize how the City spends the remaining $400 million of the approximately $600 million the City is receiving through the American Rescue Plan. The first half of the funds were received in May, and the balance will be received in May 2022. The City has identified four key areas to allocate ARP funding, including Quality & Accessible Education and Childcare. Other identified areas include crime prevention, solid waste management and affordable housing. Please take a few minutes to fill out the survey here.
- Please welcome Steven Dow!
Mr. Dow has joined Director Olivera Jankovska’s team in the Mayor’s Office of Education, as the City of Houston’s point person on Early Childhood Initiatives. Steven is a Houston native who spent the majority of his professional career as the Executive Director of one of the most innovative and effective anti-poverty agencies in the country, The Community Action Project of Tulsa County. Under his leadership, CAP Tulsa distinguished itself as a national leader in fighting poverty by focusing on high-quality early childhood education.
- Houston’s Strategic Plan for Early Childhood Education
Director Jankovska is seeking your input and welcomes your suggestions before the draft is finalized. See a draft of the plan here. If you have additional information to share, please submit it to Olivera.Jankovska@houstontx.gov.
- Houston Pre-K Leadership Council
A new council has been created through a partnership with the Mayor's Office of Education and the Childhood and Youth Committee. The Houston Pre-K Leadership Council identified the following barriers to success in addressing the challenges of quality early childhood initiatives. See them here.
Agendas and Backup Documents (.pdf, unless otherwise indicated)
Note: All meetings will be held virtually until further notice. The meetings will be aired on HTV and will also be broadcast as Microsoft Teams Live Events.
- October 13, 2021 --Houston Pre-K Leadership Council Update
- August 11, 2021 - - Houston Youth Ambassadors
- July 14, 2021 -- Creating a Nourishing Environment for Youth
- May 12, 2021 -- Uniform System of Subsidized Childcare
- April 14, 2021 -- Piloting Subsidized Childcare in Houston
- March 10, 2021 – Mayor’s Hire Houston Youth Program (Joint with Economic Development Committee)
- February 10, 2021 -- Health Impacts of COVID on Children and Youth
- January 13, 2021 -- Human Trafficking Awareness
- December 9, 2020 - - Impact of Police Reforms on Youth
- October 14, 2020 -- Equitable Internet Accessibility
- Expanding Internet Access for Early Childhood Education and Opportunity Youth
- Letter to Governor Abbott from 88 Members of the Legislature Regarding Broadband
- Letter from AT&T CEO John Stankey
- Letter to Mayor Turner from Senator Hancock and Senator Taylor
- Response Letter to Senator Hancock and Senator Taylor from Mayor Turner
- View Meeting Here
- September 9, 2020 -- Preparing for Jobs in the New Economy
- August 12, 2020 -- None
- July 8, 2020 -- Digital Equity
- June 10, 2020 -- Rescheduled
- May 13, 2020 -- Postponed
- April 8, 2020 -- In lieu of the Childhood & Youth Committee’s April meeting, Juliet Stipeche, Director of the Mayor's Office of Education, gave a special presentation on how the City is supporting children through the COVID-19 crisis. More info on how to tune in and participate here (.pdf).