> City Council > Committees and Agendas > Childhood and Youth
City Council COMMITTEES AND AGENDAS
Childhood and Youth
Agendas, presentations, etc. listed below are in .pdf, unless otherwise indicated.
2023 meeting dates: January (none), February 8, March 8, April 12, May 10, June 14, July 12, August 9, September 13, October 11, November (none), December 13
- 2023 Committee Schedule (.pdf)
- 40 Developmental Assets for Early Childhood (ages 3-5) (.pdf)
- 40 Developmental Assets for Adolescents (ages 12-18) (.pdf)
- Committee Charge (.pdf)
- The Kinder Institute for Urban Research has compiled data and written a report on the impact of state takeovers of school districts. Read the article here.
- Let the City of Houston know that funding early childhood initiatives is a priority for you! Your input will help prioritize how the City spends the remaining $400 million of the approximately $600 million the City is receiving through the American Rescue Plan. The first half of the funds were received in May, and the balance will be received in May 2022. The City has identified four key areas to allocate ARP funding, including Quality & Accessible Education and Childcare. Other identified areas include crime prevention, solid waste management and affordable housing. Please take a few minutes to fill out the survey here.
- Houston’s Strategic Plan for Early Childhood Education
Director Jankovska is seeking your input and welcomes your suggestions before the draft is finalized. See a draft of the plan here. If you have additional information to share, please submit it to Olivera.Jankovska@houstontx.gov.
- Houston Pre-K Leadership Council
A new council has been created through a partnership with the Mayor's Office of Education and the Childhood and Youth Committee. The Houston Pre-K Leadership Council identified the following barriers to success in addressing the challenges of quality early childhood initiatives. See them here.
Agendas and Backup Documents (.pdf, unless otherwise indicated)
Note: All meetings will be held in hybrid mode until further notice. The meetings will be aired on HTV and be broadcast as Microsoft Teams Live Events. The meetings can be watched in person at the Council Chambers, but restrictions regarding masks, allowable room capacity, and seating arrangements may be in place.
- March 8, 2023 -- Brief Overview on the Impact to the City of Houston, if the State Takes Over HISD
- February 8, 2023 -- BARC’s Youth Outreach and SWD Artwork Competition
- November 9, 2022 – Engaging Youth and My Brother’s Keeper
- September 14, 2022 -- Violence Prevention
- April 13, 2022 -- Childhood COVID Vaccinations and Parental Education Campaign
- March 9, 2022 -- Mayor’s Hire Houston Youth, Lifeguards, and Water Safety
- February 9, 2022 -- Addressing the Childcare System
- December 8, 2021 -- Houston Childcare Updates
- October 13, 2021 --Houston Pre-K Leadership Council Update
- August 11, 2021 - - Houston Youth Ambassadors
- July 14, 2021 -- Creating a Nourishing Environment for Youth
- May 12, 2021 -- Uniform System of Subsidized Childcare
- April 14, 2021 -- Piloting Subsidized Childcare in Houston
- March 10, 2021 – Mayor’s Hire Houston Youth Program (Joint with Economic Development Committee)
- February 10, 2021 -- Health Impacts of COVID on Children and Youth
- January 13, 2021 -- Human Trafficking Awareness
- December 9, 2020 - - Impact of Police Reforms on Youth
- October 14, 2020 -- Equitable Internet Accessibility
- Expanding Internet Access for Early Childhood Education and Opportunity Youth
- Letter to Governor Abbott from 88 Members of the Legislature Regarding Broadband
- Letter from AT&T CEO John Stankey
- Letter to Mayor Turner from Senator Hancock and Senator Taylor
- Response Letter to Senator Hancock and Senator Taylor from Mayor Turner
- View Meeting Here
- September 9, 2020 -- Preparing for Jobs in the New Economy
- August 12, 2020 -- None
- July 8, 2020 -- Digital Equity
- Educational Access Challenges with COVID-19: Bridging the Digital Divide
- Driving Digital Equity & Economic Empowerment in Houston
- Digital Equity: What is the City of Houston Doing About It?
- View Meeting Here
- June 10, 2020 -- Rescheduled
- May 13, 2020 -- Postponed
- April 8, 2020 -- In lieu of the Childhood & Youth Committee’s April meeting, Juliet Stipeche, Director of the Mayor's Office of Education, gave a special presentation on how the City is supporting children through the COVID-19 crisis. More info on how to tune in and participate here (.pdf).
- March 11, 2020 -- In response to the Mayor’s 3/11/20 joint press conference cancelling events due to Coronavirus-related concerns, the Childhood & Youth Committee meeting and reception scheduled for 3/11/20 was postponed.