CITY OF HOUSTON - Mayor's Policy
Approval: Katherine J. Whitmire
M.P. No: 701.00
Subject: Termination: Resignation
Effective Date: August 22, 1983
Back to Municipal Employee Guidebook
- POLICY STATEMENT:
- It is the policy of the City of Houston to consider an employee as having resigned when he/she leaves the employment of the City voluntarily and of his/her own initiative.
- POLICY BASIS:
- Sec. 12-150 of the City Code of Ordinances.
- POLICY AMPLIFICATION
- An employee who decides to leave the City's employe for any reason shall be asked by the supervisor or department head to submit a formal resignation in writing, and a copy of same shall be forwarded to the Director of Personnel.
- Any employee who voluntarily resigns shall forfeit any and all rights otherwise reserved under civil service; and is subject to reemployment only in the manner prescribed by the policies governing original employment.
- An employee, upon written request, before the effective date thereof and with the approval of he immediate supervisor and their supervisor's manager, shall be allowed to withdraw a resignation.
- POLICY COMPLIANCE
- All employees through the Department / Division Director shall comply from policy date forward.
- POLICY EXCEPTION
- The Civil Service Commission is authorized to make such investigations of a resignation as it may deem adviseable. If it determines that a separation reported as a resignation did not result from the voluntary act of an employee, the commission shall notify the Mayor and treat the separation as a removal and policy provisions relating to the removal shall apply. It shall not be considered a forced resignation when an employee resigns a position in lieu of being indefinitely suspended.