Houston Health Department
Antibiotic stewardship programs have been shown to increase optimal prescribing for therapy and prophylaxis, improve the quality of patient care, reduce adverse events associated with antibiotic use, and offer cost savings.
Health departments are well suited to promote antibiotic stewardship programs, highlight facilities, and guide partners to appropriate stewardship resources.
Learn about Antimicrobial Stewardship
The Healthcare-Associated Infections program is starting a new initiative for Houston nursing homes. The purpose of the program is to support Houston nursing homes in their antimicrobial stewardship goals and is helpful in meeting CMS regulations that require antimicrobial stewardship. This program is a collaborative effort to support and offer guidance for antimicrobial stewardship.
This program includes:
- An initial survey that will create an action plan for facility-specific antimicrobial stewardship recommendations
- Guidance with the enrollment process for the National Healthcare Safety Network. (Portal used by the CDC to report antimicrobial resistance)
- Survey to track antibiotic activities
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Award from the Houston Health Department
- Consultation with infectious disease physician
- Spotlight on the health department Antimicrobial Stewardship web page and social media