Houston Health Department
Bureau of Vital Statistics — Birth and Death Certificates
The Bureau of Vital Statistics is seeing direct impacts on staffing due to COVID-19. At this time, we highly recommend you use the links below to either make an appointment or order online to avoid long wait times as a walk-in customer. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this trying time.
Tenga en cuenta:
La Oficina de Estadísticas Vitales está viendo impactos directos en la dotación de personal debido a COVID-19. En este momento, le recomendamos encarecidamente que utilice los enlaces a continuación para programar una cita o hacer un pedido en línea para evitar largos tiempos de espera como cliente sin cita previa. Gracias por su paciencia y comprensión durante este momento de prueba.
The Houston Health Department Bureau of Vital Statistics maintains records of births, deaths, and fetal deaths that occur in the incorporated city limits of Houston. Our core functions include records retention, serving as a liaison to the state, funeral home relations, and providing birth and death certificates to the general public. Birth records are available from 1882, death records from 1874, and fetal death records from 1906.
Two Ways to Order
Outside of Harris County, Texas
- For records outside of Harris County but inside Texas, visit Texas Health and Human Services.
- For records outside of Texas, visit the National Center for Health Statistics.
Fees and Payment methods
- Fees are listed on the application form
- Cash, Mastercard, Visa, or Discovery (checks not accepted)
- Parking is available in the adjacent garage at 8059 Stadium Drive
- Parking fee: $4
- We are not responsible if you receive a parking ticket or are towed for parking illegally on the street or in the hotel parking lot next door.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to your questions on ordering online, birth certificates and birth-verification letters, death certificates and death-verification letters, marriage-verification and divorce-verification letters.
How to order vital records from Texas Health and Human Services
- Order vital records online from Texas.gov — Birth certificates and death certificates, birth-verification and death-verification letters, and marriage-verification and divorce-verification letters.
- Dowload vital statistics forms at Texas Health and Human Services — Birth or death record forms, birth or death record amendment forms, marriage or divorce record forms, adoption forms, and paternity or parentage forms.