Houston Health Department
Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP)
- The AOP process establishes legal paternity for a child born to unmarried parents.
- The AOP is a legal document under Texas Law and has the same effect as a court order establishing paternity.
- The AOP is a critical process in ensuring the child is eligible for benefits such as Social Security, Veteran assets, child support and health care.
- The fee to file a new birth certificate based on paternity is $25.00.
- The additional fee for a certified copy of the updated birth record is $22.00.
- Fees are paid directly to the State Vital Statistics Office at Austin, Texas.
For your convenience, a list of locations that provide walk-in AOP services without an appointment is here.
The Bureau of The Bureau of Vital Statistics is processing Acknowledgment of Paternity (AOP) by appointment for either 9:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m. Tuesday - Friday. To make an appointment with our office, please call 311. Both parents must be present and provide valid identification for notarization.