Houston Fire Department
The Houston Fire Department would like to remind citizens to keep these following suggestions in mind when "trick or treating" this Halloween.
- Wear reflective or bright-colored clothing.
- Make sure costumes are flame retardant. Avoid highly flammable fabrics & accessories.
- Illuminate pumpkins with small flashlights or battery operated candles instead of real candles.
- Keep burning Jack-o'-lanterns away from curtains and combustible items, including decorations, as well as walkways.
- Masks should have eyeholes large enough to prevent visual obstructions.
- Children should wait until they get home to eat candy. Inspect candy for possible tampering. If not wrapped or loosely wrapped do not eat it.
- Everyone should carry a flashlight or some other form of light to make you more visible to motorists.
- Be alert for cars that may be turning into or out of driveways. Never cross between parked cars and always cross at street corners.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing the oncoming traffic.
- Be cautious of strangers. Never go into a stranger's house or accept a ride from a stranger.
- Only approach houses where the outside lights are on as a signal of welcome.
- If you feel threatened or in danger while "trick or treating" you can go to any Houston Fire or Police Station