City Jail Information
What to do if I want to get someone released from jail
First you will need to visit the Harris County Jail website at https://www.harriscountyso.org/JailInfo/HCSO_FindSomeoneInJail.aspx or call the Houston Help Line at 713.837.0311 to ensure the person is in fact in the Joint Processing Center at 700 North San Jacinto Street. A representative from the Houston Help Line can also provide the amount the prisoner owes and/or the bond amount.
- If a person is arrested on city charges i.e., new charges, warrants, or capias pro fines (fines that have not been paid), that person can be released in one of several ways. A person may post a cash bond. This means that a person places a certain amount of cash with the city to guarantee that he/she will appear at the next court setting. If a person does not appear at the next setting after posting a cash bond, then all the money that was posted could be forfeited to the city. If a person appears timely and is found not guilty or has his/her cases dismissed then all the bond money may be refunded.
- A person may post a surety bond. This is done by contacting a bonding company who, for a fee, puts up a bond which guarantees that a person will appear at the next court date. The City of Houston is not involved with the contract between a defendant and the bonding company.
- A person may request to be released on personal bond. Whether or not a person is released on personal bond is entirely up to the judge. Factors that are considered by the judge are: the type of charge, the defendant's ties to the community, and whether or not the arrest resulted from warrants for failure to appear in court, as well as other factors presented.
- Once a person appears before a judge and pleads guilty or is found guilty, he/she may request a deferred payment. A deferred payment means that a person is given time to pay his/her fine. A person may request credit for time served, reduced fines, or community service as options for release.
Where can I post a bond?
- Bonds can be posted at the Harris County Joint Processing Center, 700 N. San Jacinto St., (Municipal Courts Jail Bonding Window), Houston, TX 77002. Jail Bonding is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays.