Public Information Office: Press Releases
Statewide Municipal Courts Week Celebrated in Houston
November 4, 2016 --The City of Houston’s Municipal Courts Department (MCD) will celebrate Municipal Courts Week, an annual Statewide awareness initiative, November 7-10, 2016, with several events scheduled throughout the week that are open to the public.
“The Municipal Court justice system is very important and most likely to be the one most individuals will come into contact with. The annual Municipal Courts Week activities allow the public to learn more about our court services and the many options available to them to resolve their court matters,” stated Judge Barbara E. Hartle, Director and Presiding Judge of the Municipal Courts Department.
The Houston Public Library Department and the Houston Health Department have once again partnered with MCD to host these Municipal Courts Clinics at libraries and Multi-Service Centers throughout the Houston area. We are very pleased that one of this year’s clinics will be held on location at Mayor Turner’s Turnaround Houston Resource Fair, and will serve as the kickoff to our week-long activities.
The goal of the Municipal Court Clinics is to raise public awareness, provide individuals information about their court case(s), and inform individuals about the many options that are available to resolve their court matters. Other helpful court and public safety information will also be distributed at the clinics. The clinics are free of charge and no appointments are necessary. There will be no law enforcement or judges on site.
The Municipal Court Clinics are scheduled as follows:
- Saturday, November 5th, 9am-1pm, (Turnaround Houston Resource Fair) Acres Home Multi-Service Center, 6719 W. Montgomery, Houston, TX 77091
- Monday, November 7th, 10am-2pm, Park Place Library, 8145 Park Place, Houston, TX 77017
- Tuesday, November 8th, 10am-2pm, Southwest Multi-Service Center, 6400 High Star, Houston, TX 77074
- Wednesday, November 9th, 10am-2pm, Kashmere Multi-Service Center, 4802 Lockwood, Houston, TX 77026
Other Municipal Courts Week activities will take place at the Herbert W. Gee Municipal Courthouse at 1400 Lubbock Street throughout the week, including:
- Juror Appreciation Day, Monday, November 7, 2016
- Distracted Driving Awareness Day (Simulator on site), Tuesday, November 8, 2016
- Customer Appreciation Day, Wednesday, November 9, 2016
- High School Day (Simulator on site), Thursday, November 10, 2016
For more information regarding Municipal Courts Week, please contact the MCD Public Information Officer, Gwendolyn Goins at email@example.com. For additional information about Municipal Courts or court cases, please visit the Court’s website at www.houstontx.gov/courts, or call the Houston Helpline at 3-1-1 or 713.837.0311 if outside of Houston.