Public Meeting #1
| Wed, Sept 6, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Doors open at 6:00
Ripley House Neighborhood Center
4410 Navigation Blvd.
Houston, TX 77011
English | Spanish
The Second Ward Super Neighborhood is located east of Downtown Houston and south of Buffalo Bayou. Along with the bayou, the neighborhood boundaries are the railways to the east, south, and west. The area is served by METRORail’s Green Line Coffee Plant/Second Ward, Lockwood/Eastwood, and Altic/Howard Hughes rail stations that runs along Harrisburg Boulevard. Second Ward was predominantly Mexican-American in the early 20th century, current area residents continue to share this heritage and culture today. Recent projects, including the construction of Navigation Esplanade and the rehabilitation of Guadalupe Plaza Park have improved the community, while historic Settegast Park and Eastwood Park still need updating. New townhome construction and reclaimed industrial spaces are beginning to attract new residents and businesses to the neighborhood.
Complete Communities is the first planning process led by the City of Houston in Second Ward since 1996, however several organizations have taken the lead in neighborhood planning since then.
- Greater East End Management District recently completed the East End 2017-2020 Economic Development Strategy and has led or partnered on multiple neighborhood plans.
- Ripley House Neighborhood Center is currently conducting focus groups with members of the community to identify issues important to them, and is working to develop neighborhood capacity to address these issues.
- Buffalo Bayou Partnership is developing a plan for open spaces along Buffalo Bayou, east of downtown.
- TIRZ #23, the Harrisburg Zone, continues to identify and fund improvements in the area since its creation in 2011.
- Other important plans in Second Ward include the East End Mobility Study completed in 2012, the Fifth Ward/Buffalo Bayou/East End Livable Centers Study completed in 2015, and the Urban Land Institute’s Redeveloping the East End: Catalysts for Sustainable Transitions Report completed in 2015.
With several completed and ongoing neighborhood plans in Second Ward, the Complete Communities effort will be focused on creating an action plan to help implement and support the projects identified by the community. The City will lead a community engagement effort with the assistance of the Second Ward Super Neighborhood and other community leaders to develop the action plan.
Neighborhood Support Team (NST)
It is vital that the Complete Communities initiative connect with each neighborhood's civic leaders and organizations to understand their strengths, their connections within the community, and their perspectives on the needs of the neighborhood. Local civic leaders have the pulse of the community and know the assets and concerns better than the City alone.
We will rely on the NST to be our partners in this process by providing guidance to the public engagement approach in the area. We need to hear their voices and depend on the NST to ensure widespread participation from the community. Leaders should represent a constituency, are supported by that group and have some engagement capacity.
To see a list of the leaders and organizations the City has contacted or will soon contact, click Second Ward NST. The attached list is by no means exhaustive. If you know of leaders and/or organizations that should be included in this dialogue, please contact the Team Lead listed below.Neighborhood Profile
The following data and maps provide information on Second Ward. The PDFs may be viewed onscreen or easily printed in 8.5 x 11 format on most printers. A portable document reader, such as Adobe Reader is needed to display the documents.
Land Use Map
Click to view PDF
Team Lead: Misty Staunton, Planner IV
Second Ward Complete Communities Plan
The public engagement process will begin in August. Please visit often to learn about the upcoming dates. You may also sign-up for the Complete Communities Newsletter emailed via Constant Contact that will include upcoming dates and other information by clicking the button below.
Use our Sign-up Form to get interesting news and updates delivered to your inbox.
Complete Communities Links